How To Peel An Avocado
I grew up with a pear tree in my yard in Jamaica. I said pear as in Jamaica, we call avocado, pear. What is called pear in the U.S. does not exist as a fruit in Jamaica. We would actually just peel the pears with our hands as they would just fall on the ground when ripe. This page will show you how to peel an avocado the American way :-).
The avocados in Jamaica are actually very large. When I first saw one in the U.S. I was surprised as to how small it was. In addition, as most are imported or maybe all, they are picked when green and ripened after you buy them. As mentioned before, they just fall off the tree and we pick them up and eat them almost right away or in a day or so.
Is It Good To Refrigerate Avocados?
I’ve had to wait almost a week for the ones I buy in the grocery store to ripen, which is pretty bad for me. I ripen them quicker by placing them in a paper bag with a banana and after about two to three days they are ripe. The others are kept in the fridge as apparently when they are cold they take longer to ripen. Keeping them in the fridge is good as they will continue to ripen if kept at room temperature, albeit slower. We never had a fridge when I was growing up as we didn’t have electricity, so we never had this issue.
What’s the easiest way to peel an avocado?
Well, that’s what this post is about, so let’s figure out how to peel an avocado.
How to prepare avocado for eating.
- 1 Avocado
- A knife
- Wash the avocado
- Dry the avocado with a cloth or just wiping off the water with your hands.
- Use the point of the knife to start an incision at the top of the avocado.
- Take the incision to the bottom of the avocado. Careful not to cut yourself
- Repeat at about a 30 degree or so angle.
- Only cut what you need. You can wrap it in foil and store in the refrigerator for when you need more. You must wrap it and don't keep it for too long without eating it as it will wither and start tasting funny.
- You can eat with bread, crackers or just add to your dinner plate. You may also dice and add to a salad.
In Jamaica, an avocado is actually called a pear. What is called a pear in the U.S. does not exist in the Caribbean, so there is no confusion.